Aldi Outrage

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

PoyntonMan62

Aldi Outrage

Postby PoyntonMan62 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello fellow Poyntonians I, for one, am insulted at the opening of the new Aldi store in poynton. I thought we were making real progress as a community with the opening of Waitrose in 2012. However with the opening of Aldi I feel as though we are taking a step back into the lower class. Soon we will be associated with places such as Hazel Grove and other urban areas closer to Manchester. The use of aesthetically displeasing wooden pallets is disgusting and unhygienic, I worry for the passer bys.
With this new Aldi I ask you, what kind of people will this attract to the area? Are we not sick of young vandals harassing the town?
Last edited by PoyntonMan62 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscarsmum

Re: Aldi Outrage

Postby oscarsmum » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:08 pm

This is a joke or a troll ? Right?

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Troll alert............Troll alert ................Troll alert...........

I for one will be shopping there...................as well as Waitrose.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Aldi is a quality discounter, which has won may awards from the likes of Which? (although it must be said for its products not its customer service). I'm surprised at their decision, given that they already have a store in Hazel Grove, but if we really need a new supermarket, we could do worse than Aldi.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm

nedsram wrote: but if we really need a new supermarket, we could do worse than Aldi.

How much worse :shock: On the bright side 2 of the worst have shut down and i sail past the other one frequently to get to Waitrose or Asda even though they are further away and the parking is further from the shop.

I suppose that's the joy of competition the rubbish sinks whilst those offering better service and products even at a more expensive price can thrive.
There's been a right good old shakeup of retailers in Poynton in the past couple of years hopefully some of the newcomers like the Gallery, bakers, clothes shop etc will thrive and survive.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:19 pm

I think you just mentioned one that's worse. And there are others which you can find locally. (No names, no law suits. :mrgreen: )

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:28 am

I think that the author of this thread is having a giraffe , how can he/her suggest that Aldi will in some way bring down the prestige of Poynton I suggest that he takes a look at what this store will replace, a defunct derelict cinema, a total eyesore .

Aldi is a good super market ,it is so good along with other discounters it has some of the big chains very worried which can only be good for the public, and has for lowering the tone I think that this new store looks great as stores go :clap

But I do think that given the shortage of housing in C.East this site would have been better suited to apartments instead of shoehorning houses into peoples back gardens (I was going too say flats but that may lower the tone) :roll:

The new supermarket is here lets welcome them , I think its a vast improvement on what went before :clap

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 pm

The centre of the village was the wrong place for a large supermarket. It will increase traffic congestion and will impact on smaller shops. We may end up with a bland village of just supermarkets, solicitors, estate agents and charity shops. :x

As for its prestige status regarding Poynton. :shock: Poynton already has a Wetherspoons and a Sizzling pub so it fits in nicely with the continued destruction of the classy leafy village... :(

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm

AnotherWhingerLike_U wrote: We may end up with a bland village of just supermarkets, solicitors, estate agents and charity shops. (

I think we are already there or very close to it :shock: You forgot to mention the fast food outlets.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:39 pm

AnotherWhingerLike_U wrote:The centre of the village was the wrong place for a large supermarket. It will increase traffic congestion and will impact on smaller shops.

Would you prefer an out of town supermarket that everyone drives to ? Oh hang on a minute :) Out of town superstores killed town centres :)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ntres.html (I can't be doing with Ms Portas dodgy weekly changing hair colour :shock: )

Return to “Poynton Forum”