Broadband

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

Luddite

Broadband

Postby Luddite » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 am

Is anyone else in Poynton, especially Higher Poynton, experiencing poor Broadband connections at present? This includes very slow download speeds and multiple disconnections.

nowthensithe

Re: Broadband

Postby nowthensithe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 am

Yes - intermittent slow then very slow BT.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:30 pm

Luddite wrote:Is anyone else in Poynton, especially Higher Poynton, experiencing poor Broadband connections at present? This includes very slow download speeds and multiple disconnections.

…. hi, are you with Virgin, Sky, or BT etc ? … I'm with BT and I checked several times and it was pretty consistent all day yesterday ….
BT_speedtest_06_07_19.jpg

…. I'm on Dickens Lane, above Yew Tree Lane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... please, log yourself in to see any of my pictures ...

Luddite

Postby Luddite » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:06 pm

I am with Utility Warehouse my download speed is 2.4! There have been 10 disconnections today the last one over 30 minutes. Some days I have 30 disconnections some of over an hour. Tomorrow there is a BT engineer booked to come an test our line, hopefully he can’t make it even worse!

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Did They fix it?

I had a session with slow broadband last year. I was caused by a fault in some length of the copper wire, probably damaged by a previous lightning strike. The engineers change the section to a clean pair of copper wires.
I wonder what would finally happen when they run out of good pairs of wire out in the wilderness.

Luddite

Postby Luddite » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am

The Openreach engineer rewired in a new terminal box with built in filters, checked the line to the exchange which was clear and advised to leave the router on 24/7.
Since then I still have numerous disconnections, but of shorter periods and the download speed is if anything slower!

emar07

Postby emar07 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I'm in Charlecote Rd and use Virgin Media. Can't recall the last time we had a disconnection - many months ago. Only a small handful of disconnections in the six years we've lived here (and used Virgin). Any breaks have always been repaired quickly and completely. Longest outage by far was of about 24 hours.

I've just tested speed as 164MB download, 10.5 upload and 33 ping. My package is for "up to 200MB". Until about 12 months ago it always tested as well OVER 200MB. The last few months it's usually been below 200MB - but not a long way below. (Today's measurements pretty typical.) Not quite sure why the slight drop in speed (more users maybe) but the performance is absolutely fine from my perspective. (Maybe if a did a lot of gaming/streaming I'd be a bit more concerned.)

By the way speed testing results seem to be highly dependent upon which service you use for this. Today's results used Broadband.co.uk. But (based on my experience of many comparisons over a couple of years) if I'd used Which's speed test the download speed would have recorded about 10% higher; and if I'd used Ookla for example the figure would be MUCH higher (OOKLA never showed a download speed below 200.) Not sure what you can make of this - maybe just that the test results shouldn't be regarded as anything more than a broad indication of your broadband performance - and how it varies over time.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm

If you’re fortunate to have access to FTTP ( fibre to the premises) with the amazing speeds it provides, not much can go wrong with it. Unlike the dreaded corroding and shorting copper wire which should be referred to as CTTP “Copper to the Premises” or better still CRAP to the premises.
FTTC “Fibre to the cabinet” Is the totally unimportant part of the setup when some of the runs of old copper wire have to travel half way down park lane to meet a cabinet.
For some; The Fibre coming to Poynton hype was the biggest lead balloon of the Century.

Return to “Poynton Forum”