Is Poynton getting more than its fair share of canal water?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Is Poynton getting more than its fair share of canal water?

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:19 pm

It’s a 20 mile length of canal from Peak forest to Bosley locks that ideally would have a network of regular evenly spaced overflow points that flow into different streams.
The more overflow points reduces a river like flow on the canal.The more streams, shares any overload.

Canal height must be controlled to avoid bank erosion and possible breach. It would be unfair to say any canal overflow water belongs to river trust but are Poynton brooks /streams that pass through the Village getting more than their fair share of it?

There are two notable overflow points into Poynton:
A small overflow opening at bridge 14 that flows into a stream that crosses the Middlewood way joining the stream running down Middlewood road.
The larger unlimited /unregulated overspill at Shrigley road aqueduct that feeds the stream under Moggie lane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tarboat

Re: Is Poynton getting more than its fair share of canal water?

Postby tarboat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am

It's a good job that a lot of the headwaters of the Poynton Brook are captured and taken to Horse Coppice reservoir these days or there would have been even more water sloshing around Poynton. Whilst the canal does have an overflow by the aqueduct this did not necessarily cause vast quantities of water to enter the brook. The canal acts as a catchment for water running off the fields and may well have caught a lot that would otherwise have joined watercourses into the village. Water from the canal will also have been fed down the locks at Bosley and Marple. The small runoff near Bridge 14 is only used to draw water off when there is a need to drain the canal in that area. It is not an overflow weir.

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 am

Both this year and 3 years ago, there was a great torrent flowing into Coppice Road from the lane coming down from the allotments. Since many of the gulleys below there are blocked (though they might not have coped anyway), this added to the problems lower down on Park Lane.

Because of the lie of the land this water can't be from Poynton Brook or the stream alongside Anson Road, nor could it be from the canal because there's the railway cutting in between. So where did it all come from? Just a thought - that side of Poynton is riddled with old mine workings, so is it possible that excess rain water gets into these and floods them, then finds a way out wherever it can?

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 pm

The mines are flooded

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:05 pm

So would it be fair to say that the mines are a kind of underground reservoir - most of the time we're oblivious to it, but when too much water flows in, a corresponding amount will flood out wherever it can, which probably won't initially be along the natural watercourses?

I don't remember ever hearing a suggestion of a link between the mines and flooding, but if they're normally flooded anyway, it seems rather obvious. Have the relevant bodies ever thought of this?

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:43 am

aardvark wrote:So would it be fair to say that the mines are a kind of underground reservoir - most of the time we're oblivious to it, but when too much water flows in, a corresponding amount will flood out wherever it can, which probably won't initially be along the natural watercourses?

Back in 1707 the old mines around Middlewood and Norbury Hollow were used to create a head of water for a pumping waterwheel somewhere in the area where the caravans now are. Water was run into a shaft near Middlecale and rose in another at Middlewod from where it was led over the wheel.

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm

...and near the end of Pool House Rd there is a syphon under the railway cutting which feeds into German pool.It's about 3 feet in diameter.
R

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:18 am

I'm certainly not disputing what you say about the Middlewood/Pool House Road area, but the concern I had was about torrents of water flowing off the land (or out of it?) in the area between Anson Road and Coppice Road, and thus down on to Park Lane. So I've had a further look for background information on this.

There's some stuff on the old collieries at http://www.brocross.com/ but unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem to be a lot on that specific area other than a mention of the quarry at Hig Lane.

More relevant, I think, is the Poynton East Heritage Assessment commissioned by the town council in 2013, at https://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/d ... 122013.pdf Page 5 includes a section on this area which refers to a record of there being 6 abandoned shafts in 1826.

I'm not qualified to say whether there is a connection between any mines and the flooding, but I may well raise it at the drop-in session on Thursday (Civic Hall, 1-7pm).

I don't think that's been mentioned here yet, so the link to further information is https://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/f ... pdates.htm

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 am

aardvark wrote:There's some stuff on the old collieries at http://www.brocross.com/ but unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem to be a lot on that specific area other than a mention of the quarry at Hig Lane.

More relevant, I think, is the Poynton East Heritage Assessment commissioned by the town council in 2013, at https://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/d ... 122013.pdf Page 5 includes a section on this area which refers to a record of there being 6 abandoned shafts in 1826.

I supplied that information for the heritage assessment and also wrote the colliery stuff on the brocross website. There are a lot of shafts both sides of Coppice Road including some in house gardens. There are far more shafts in Poynton than the Coal Authority thinks.

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am

In that case I'm sure you know more than most of us - your screen name hides a lot!

(And I thought the map of mines on the Environment Agency site looked a bit sparse.)

Return to “Poynton Forum”