Does the Poynton Shared Space Scheme work?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

WigleyWoggled

Re: Does the Poynton Shared Space Scheme work?

Postby WigleyWoggled » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I represent the silent majority!!! ;) .... And we are unanimous in that. :lol:

Thousands of vehicles pass through the two roundels necessitated by the offset junction every day and obviously have no problem.
I don't have a problem with it or find it confusing. I drive through it slowly and signal my intent as the fast majority do. It works well and provides good traffic flow.
The roundels don't work well if drivers are in a hurry or inpatient or don't signal their intent or are generally inconsiderate of their fellow road users. For those drivers expect complaints. :roll:

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I agree with Nedsram's initial posting. The scheme is the best thing to happen to Poynton in a long time.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:05 pm

rafiki6 wrote: Why oh why a single large roundabout/roundel was not provided initially is beyond me:
R

Here's one for the roundabout lovers :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-8579591

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

"Bus gets stuck on roundabout".

A few years ago SMBC had the bright idea of increasing the size of the central circle at the Woodford roundabout. What they had overlooked was that with the reduced road width, artics could no longer negotiate the right turn into Woodford Road without becoming impaled on the roundabout. Part of it was promptly reduced in height. Unfortunately this just about sums up the competence of SMBC's traffic management policy at the time. There is still a traffic light at the bus terminus near the Rising Sun which shows red to northbound traffic for extended periods at random intervals for no apparent reason. My wife got stuck for several minutes about a week ago. Apparently the idea of this was "to control the flow of traffic on to the A6". Similarly on the A6 southbound in Heaton Norris, there used to be a single stretch of bus lane "at any time", apparently "to control the flow of traffic into Stockport town centre".

However we digress. A single roundel would not work at the main Poynton junction due to the road layout. If it would have been practicable, I'm sure that it would have been done that way.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 pm

nedsram wrote: Unfortunately this just about sums up the competence of SMBC's traffic management policy at the the time.

However we digress.

Nowt wrong with a bit of digression when required, Looks like the boneheaded idiots at SMBC haven't improved or learnt anything.

On the A6 Outside Norbury church by the Rising Sun
They have managed to install a bl@@dy big new 'electronic traffic information sign' approximately a metre in front of the directional signage completely obliterating any possible use it served :roll:

What looks good on a piece of paper in an office probably won't look quite so good in the "real" world, seen it too many times now :|

Postby Newbie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:31 am

I hope this illustrates one of the correct options you can to use to cross the junction:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:49 am

My take on that is that it illustrates how you should not use the junction, and this is made clear in the accompanying comments. The yellow car is ignoring the roundels and driving straight through. If all drivers adopted that approach, chaos would result. When drivers go round the roundels as intended, the system works well.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Well said Mr Ned's !. Only last week we were driving around the roundalls from the direction of the station and intending to drive up Park lane, when some daft person that was behind me deciced to drive straight over the roundalls to drive up Park lane, they nearly "T" boned me. I do know that it was a local person driving the car as I have seen the person around in Poynton. and I now know what car that person drives drives, so I will give them a wide berth in future.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:05 am

Newbie wrote:I hope this illustrates one of the correct options you can to use to cross the junction:

This shows the yellow car driving on the wrong side of the road risking collision with someone turning into Chester Road.

Just because roundels might not be shown in the highway code doesn't mean we can act in an idiotic and selfishly beligerant fashion.

Driving with due care and consideration comes to mind. I too have almost been the victim of the 'T' boner. :roll:

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:53 pm

WigleyWoggled wrote:
Newbie wrote:I hope this illustrates one of the correct options you can to use to cross the junction:

This shows the yellow car driving on the wrong side of the road risking collision with someone turning into Chester Road.

Just because roundels might not be shown in the highway code doesn't mean we can act in an idiotic and selfishly beligerant fashion.

Driving with due care and consideration comes to mind. I too have almost been the victim of the 'T' boner. :roll:

Does it, I've used that route many times in the evening and at nighttime when there's no traffic around,
I'm still alive and no one's died :shock:

i may have neglected to use indicators as there was no other traffic around :oops:

Look on the bright side Wiggly, you may get Tboned into Heathcotes window, yum yum :oops: :mrgreen:
Last edited by zzippy on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Poynton Forum”